Just like we have ‘maintenance tasks’ to keep our bodies running well, there are a few tasks we can do to keep our air conditioning system running smoothly.
You may wonder why you have to maintain your system when you already get annual, or bi-annual maintenance visits from a trusted Air Conditioning company like Custom Climate Concepts. Here are reasons why doing these 3 easy maintenance tasks are worth the effort.
Why Maintain Your HVAC System
Benefits of DIY Air Conditioning maintenance include:
- Consistent and comfortable in-home temperature
- Lower humidity
- Expands AC system longevity
- Reduces energy bills
- Decreases energy usage by 20 to 50 percent
- Promotes better air quality
3 Easy AC Maintenance Tasks – Check Monthly
- Change or Clean Filter – t’s probably common knowledge that cleaning or changing your AC system’s filter is a must but this simple task is ignored by many people. Plan ahead to have the right replacements on hand and put it in your calendar for every 30 days. If you have a high quality filter you might be able to wait until 2- 3 months have passed. Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption and save you money. Note: filters may need more frequent attention if your air conditioner is in constant use, is subjected to dusty conditions, or you have fur-bearing pets in the house.
- Remove Debris from Outdoor Components – Outdoor condenser unit (compressor unit) can also become very dirty if the outdoor environment is dusty or if there is foliage nearby. Make sure tree branches on top of your outdoor unit are cleared away before they interfere with the fan. You can easily see the unit and notice if it is collecting dirt. Minimize dirt and debris near the condenser unit at least twice a year. Your dryer vents, falling leaves, branches and lawn mower are all potential sources of dirt and debris. Clean the area around the coil, removing any debris, and trim foliage back at least 2 feet to allow for adequate airflow around the condenser.
- Keep Indoor Components Clean and Clear
- Check your room vents regularly to make sure there are no obstructions.
- Keep your registers and ducts clean from dust and debris.
- Keep lamps, TV sets or other heat producing devices away from a wall-mounted thermostat. Rising heat from the equipment may cause the system to over-cool your house.
With little effort on your part, by the time a certified professional, such as one from Custom Climate Concepts, comes for your system’s tune up, you will be way ahead of the game!