Do you suffer from sticker shock when you get your monthly electric bill – especially knowing that your HVAC system makes up 54% of the cost? Yes, your Air Conditioner can really cost you. If the idea of saving money by saving energy sparks your interest, read on to learn six simple ways to do just that!
- Check for air leaks: Make sure no air is getting through any weather stripping around your windows, doors or attic. Seal any areas where you find leaks with caulking or new weather stripping. Making sure that air does not escape decreases your cooling system’s runtime and lowers the energy used.
- Close your curtains: During the hot months, close curtains on the sunny side of your house during the day. Alternately, leave them open during a sunny day when the weather turns colder.
- Get a programmable thermostat and use it: Set your thermostat to a comfortable temperature, but program it to raise and lower the temperature when you’re away from your home or sleeping. You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7°-10°F for eight hours a day from its normal setting.
- Remember to use your ceiling fans: By using your overhead fans when you are home temperatures can be set about 4 degrees higher without a noticeable difference in comfort. To further conserve energy, don’t forget to turn ceiling fans off when the room is not occupied.
- Keep your HVAC unit clear of debris: Shrubbery, branches or debris on or near the system can hinder its overall performance. However, an awning or tree over the unit provides shade, which cuts energy consumption.
- Schedule your HVAC tune up: Ensure your systems are running at their highest efficiency by hiring reputable and certified technicians, like the ones here at Custom Climate Concepts, to perform seasonal cleanings and checkups. Also, be sure to change out your air filters.
To learn more call Custom Climate Concepts at (941) 955-COOL (2665)