Just thinking about what life was like in Florida before air conditioning can make you feel hot. But if your AC system really does stop working – whether you have to wait two hours or two days to get it fixed – it’s going to be like those olden days. Here are Custom Climate Concept’s tips for keeping you and your home as cool as possible.
Cooling You & Your Family
- Drink plenty of water and cool it with ice. This is not just to stay cool but also to avoid heat exhaustion or heat stroke.
- Lower your body temperature by taking cold showers and baths.
- At bedtime wet your top sheet in cold water and wring it out so it’s damp. This will also help reduce your body’s core temperature.
- Wet a bunch of towels. Place one immediately on the nape of your neck. That will instantly cool you down. Place the others in the freezer and keep on swapping them out.
- Make the pursuit of a colder environment fun. Go out to the movies, enjoy a long, leisurely meal at a restaurant or just visit your local library, shopping mall or coffee place for a few hours for some good air-conditioned time.
Cooling Your Home
- It’s not just the heat that makes you uncomfortable – it’s the humidity. Your air conditioning system works to decrease humidity alongside cooling your home. If isn’t working, purchasing a dehumidifier will help your home feel cooler.
- Buy and use table or standing fans. While it’s true that fans don’t actually cool the air, they create a wind chill effect that makes you feel about four degrees cooler.
- A ceiling fan can also help cool down your house. Make sure it is spinning counter clockwise so the fan pulls the hot air up and circulates the cool air below.
- Once the sun goes down, put fans in the windows to draw in cool air from outside. Be sure to close the windows and turn off the attic fan early in the morning to trap cool air inside.
A broken air conditioner is a huge inconvenience, especially here in Florida where it’s hot and humid most of the time. Custom Climate Concepts is here to help. We are your Sarasota Air Conditioning company – providing 27/7/365 service just so you can keep your cool! If you have a problem, or want to schedule maintenance, call us at (941) 955-COOL (2665)