If it seems like your air conditioning system is trying to start its own percussion section, complete with a shake, a rattle and a roll, it’s time to pay attention. Even just one noise likely signals something is wrong. But what?
Here are seven common Air Conditioner noises and what they might mean.
- Rattling: If you are hearing rattling it’s possible that one or more of your air conditioner’s parts has become loose. In this situation, a simple AC tune up by Custom Climate Concepts will help. However, if you intend to try and tighten some parts yourself, make sure you turn off your electric power.
- Banging: Chances are if you hear banging it is coming from the outside unit. The problem could be as simple as a loose part or a damaged fan blade. It may also mean trouble with the compressor. If that’s it, an HVAC technician can diagnose whether your compressor can be repaired or if it will need to be replaced.
- Clicking: A repetitive clicking sound while the AC system is running can mean a few things. It might be that your system’s relays or contactors have gone bad, there may be a small obstruction, or the fan could be loose and knocking against its housing. An experienced technician can diagnose the problem and make any repairs that are needed.
- Buzzing: Bees in your AC bonnet? Not really. A buzzing noise is likely a sign that your air conditioner is having some kind of electrical issue. This can be as simple as loose connections of the compressor or more serious like too much power running through your system.
- Whistling: When air conditioning ductwork has a broken seal or a crack the air that’s escaping will produce a whistling noise. Whistling isn’t a happy tune, as this problem can significantly compromise the efficiency and effectiveness of your system.
- Hissing: When air conditioners develop a refrigerant leak, especially a more serious one, they often start to make a hissing noise.
- Screeching: Since air conditioners use belts, a screeching noise could indicate a worn belt that needs to be replaced.
Although some of these noises are simple, easy to fix annoyances, others are potentially quite serious. That’s why it is best to call Custom Climate Concepts sooner rather than later. You can trust our certified professionals to diagnose and fix your system efficiently and effectively. Call us today at (941) 955-COOL (2556)
For more information on potential problems with your air conditioning system check out our page on AC Warning Signs.