When filing a lightning damage insurance claim for your air conditioning system the most crucial elements for success are thorough documentation on your part and professional assessment from an authorized technician.
You need to be careful because, while lightning damage is the most frequently claimed cause of loss to AC systems, it is also the most commonly misdiagnosed. Upon investigation the culprits are often found to be non-lightning related such as wear and tear and other problems.
Direct lightning damage will be most obvious in your outdoor equipment since that is where, in most cases, you will find visual evidence of charring or arcing. Lightning-caused surge damage will take more documentation and investigation to prove successfully.
When filing, your insurance company will require specifics. The following tips can help to ensure the success of your claim.
Tips to Ensure Insurance Claim Success as it relates to your Air Conditioning System
- If you were home, take notes about what you experienced.
- Check additional appliances and electronics. Showing that other items were simultaneously damaged is often the easiest way to prove, on a claim, that the cause was a power surge.
- Take photos or a video of everything that was affected as soon as you can.
- If you still have power, try starting the system from the thermostat. Determine if both the indoor fan and outdoor condenser start up. Document all your findings.
- Call a professional AC company, such as Custom Climate Concepts, to conduct an inspection and to generate a detailed repair quote or damage report.
- Do not accept final payment from your insurance company until you are sure of all the damage – some problems show up after time.
The frequency of lightning claims, and the likelihood of misdiagnosed symptoms, underscore the importance of calling in a credentialed air conditioning expert BEFORE you make a direct claim. Contact the professionals at Custom Climate Concepts promptly at (941) 955-COOL (2665).